Apostle Politics
Hi Everyone!
I have wanted to do this blog for over a year but, haven't
felt the exact moment was right. This week, it is.
Have you ever met someone who introduced themselves as an
apostle? Or maybe you saw a billboard for a crusade with someone using the
title of the apostle; maybe it read, "Come, receive your blessing!" I
have run into this all across the world. I even consider people friends who
would introduce themselves this way, and people sometimes claim to
experience miracles when they pray. The book of Matthew says this can happen,
and the person is not doing the will of the Father. For clarity, I'm not saying
I don't believe in Apostleship, Prophetic ministry, or any other aspect of
what's known as the fivefold ministry of the early church structure. I'm just
pointing out that such "Apostles" are not what scripture is referring
to. Some may be genuine in their belief or motive, others may not. What I am
saying is I think it wise we understand what scripture says an apostle is at a
basic level.
When we look at 2 Corinthians 10,11 and 12, Paul, the
actual Apostle, advocates for his Apostleship against false Apostles called
Super Apostles. I have heard that the Church of Corinth would have likely been
obsessed with miracles and money, much like today's world. This would
create a challenging environment to be received by someone like Paul, who lists
many things and emphasizes that his suffering for the Gospel makes him the
Apostle. In a class teaching suffering, the students came up with quite a list
of differences between Paul and the Super Apostles. I wasn't smart enough to
take notes, so I asked Microsoft's co-pilot, and it had many of the same points
the students had made.
Co-Pilots List:
In 2 Corinthians chapters 10, 11, and
12, Paul contrasts himself with the so-called "super-apostles" in
several ways:
1. Authority
and Credentials:
- Paul: Paul defends his
apostolic authority, emphasizing his direct calling from Christ and his
sufferings for the gospel. He highlights his humility and the
authenticity of his ministry.
- Super-Apostles: These individuals
boast about their credentials and seek to undermine Paul's authority.
They emphasize outward appearances and rhetorical skills.
2. Suffering
and Weakness:
- Paul: Paul openly
discusses his sufferings, weaknesses, and the thorn in his flesh, which
he sees as a means to demonstrate God's power through his weakness.
- Super-Apostles: They likely
present themselves as strong and successful, avoiding any mention of
personal weaknesses or sufferings.
3. Financial
Support:
- Paul: Paul refuses to
accept financial support from the Corinthians to avoid being a burden and
to maintain his integrity.
- Super-Apostles: They may demand
financial support and use it to assert their superiority.
4. Preaching
Style:
- Paul: Paul’s preaching
is straightforward and focused on the message of Christ, without relying
on eloquence or persuasive speech.
- Super-Apostles: They likely use
eloquent and persuasive speech to impress and gain followers.
5. Vision
and Revelations:
- Paul: Paul shares his
visions and revelations reluctantly, emphasizing that boasting is foolish
and that his experiences are meant to glorify God.
- Super-Apostles: They may boast
about their visions and revelations to elevate their status.
I find it striking how much in common the "Super Apostles" had with
most modern ministries. Would we recognize Paul's Apostleship? Another
critical detail in the apostles' pattern is that they established God's
kingdom in tribes that didn't have the Gospel. This is part of the basis for
the concept of missions. It is also what makes apostles so interesting. They
suffered with Joy to establish God's kingdom in tribes who didn't have the
Gospel. They serve not for money but to use what is generated to build God's
kingdom instead of themselves. Not Lording pride and power but walking in
humility and love like Christ did for us.
So next time someone says, "I am an Apostle,"
before melting before them, fawning over their gold rings, and smooth-talking, ask
them how they have suffered for God's kingdom.
Comments
Post a Comment