Big R Revival vs. Little r revival.
Hi everyone!
At this point, there is not a person from the United
States who hasn't at least heard of the Asbury revival. Many people have taken
a moment to speak about or on the topic. For a few months, it seemed Fiona was
always reading a new article from another "Ministry" supporting or condemning
the Asbury revival. Usually, by making a list of what revival isn't. In almost every
case, they never cited what revival truly is. While I agree there is a
time to define things by what they are not, Revival isn't that way, in
my opinion. So, with all that's going on and Resurrection Sunday coming, I'd like to point out what revival is so you can evaluate Asbury for
yourselves.
The first task is to separate little r revival from Big
R Revival. The difference between the two is seen in their fruit. If you have
ever been to the Bible Belt in the summertime, you know there is a "revival
season." Traveling ministers come from throughout the country, filling churches
and tents for about a week at a time. These little revivals often feel like
there is a big R revival happening. There is a move of the Holy Spirit, and
people repent; some even start to feel called to ministry. While these
events share some aspects of a Big R Revival, they are just little r
revivals. Some can become quite big, even gaining international attention but
still be a little r revival. Little r revivals have a different purpose than big R Revivals and are
different at the end of the day. That doesn't make them less important. God still uses them.
So, what is a big R revival?
In thinking about this, I took a few thoughts from scripture, like when Paul talks about the Gospel in Galatians 3 and Pentecost in Acts,
all having to do with the purpose of Christ's Death, Burial, and Resurrection.
The following points, I would say, are Biblically sound
markers seen in the fruit of a big R revival:
Repentance of sin is the first requisite of following
Christ.
Manifestation of the Holy Spirit. (That doesn't revolve
around tongues, remember Paul said love was the greatest gift of the Spirit and
tongues a lesser gift.)
An infectious outpouring of God's glory in the community
from people sharing what God has done.
A mobilization to the tribes of the earth where the Gospel isn't
established yet, resulting in the Body being established in some of them.
So where does that leave Asbury? Some of these things can't
be measured for years! There is always a reality that the generation that experiences the revival only sometimes has the chance to evaluate its worth and viability. In asking this
question, I looked for a resource on revival to challenge myself. While there
are many resources on Revival, I don't have a wealth of time to give to my
little blog.
I did find this pdf.
Ten Greatest Revivals pdf Liberty University. Based on the
book works of Edward Towns.
Here are the PDF Guidelines for Ranking Revivals:
1. Does the
experience fit the Biblical portrait of revival?
2. Was there a
demonstration of God's presence?
3. Was the larger Body
of Christ awakened to its New Testament task?
4. Was the
surrounding culture impacted positively by the revival?
5 Are there reliable sources that demonstrate the greatness
of the revival?
I can't say I disagree though I will say I think the Biblical
Portrait is the most important part as it is God's standard and includes all
these other points.
Ultimately, this discussion will continue until the
end of days. Obedient followers of Christ who share the gospel and disciple
others to do the same could engage the whole current population in 35 years.
Those few who will see 3,000 added to their number in a day will take 7,305 years. While both models are seen in scripture, it's plain to see that for most
of us, there needs to be a revival in us because neither model is being used by
the majority.
Is Asbury the next Big R? I hope so. Several Denominations
are desperately in need of repentance. Ultimately, I think there is a definite observation
of a move of God. Currently, there is documentation of videos going to Islamic
countries. Though there is no current evidence of the Asbury videos inspiring the
believers there to share the Gospel, there are also no known new Missionaries
mobilized because of the videos or Asbury experience, but I hope it did and
does.
I hope Asbury was and is the next Big R Revival. In reality, we won't know if it is for over 5 years roughly.
In the meantime, you can ask yourself are you living like
you encountered a Revival, or are you living like you had a revival? That answer
will be the biggest clue for you, the reader, as to whether or not The Asbury
Revival was/ is a Big R Revival or a little r revival until the long-term fruit
can be measured.
Comments
Post a Comment