Sex and The Church
Hi Everyone!
Let's be controversial for a moment and talk about Sex. Yes, I
said it, sex. That little taboo word in Church that is avoided because it is
uncomfortable and may cause someone to stumble in their heart… SEX.
What if I told you that Not talking about sex in Church has a more dire effect?
A friend who worked with Operation Mobilization (OM) once
proudly told me that they had the best record for the sexual purity of any
Christian organization. I asked him how that was achieved. He informed me that
the conversation of sex, purity, and sexual struggle was part of the
organization's DNA, allowing for quick repentance when an issue started instead of dealing with big messes later.
Currently, the Body of Christ has a huge mess on its hands.
You can see people who believe you can be a sexually amorous Christian or
homosexual or really be engaging in any sexual practice you wish and still be
following Christ. The fact is you can Not. I believe this ignorance of
scripture which often comes with misuse of scripture, comes from a lack of
talking about sex. The Epistles are covered in a sexual context. Especially
Corinthians 1&2, Ephesians, and Romans. Probably more if I did a little
research. These three demographics were very sexually active. To not talk about
sex in Church is to lose the context of these epistles.
Corinthians, as a culture, valued the miraculous, wealth, and
SEX. It makes sense that Paul is talking about these things to this Church.
His response is joy in suffering and heterosexual covenants before God (marriage).
Ephesus was involved in witchcraft and polytheism, both of
which involved sexual rituals.
Rome, well, have you ever seen roman art? I think it speaks
for itself.
The point is Paul defines sexually moral as sex between a
heterosexual couple bound by a marriage covenant before God (marriage). He
defines everything else as sexually immoral and many of the possible options as
unnatural. Immorality includes lusting in the heart, homosexuality, multiple
sex partners, children, animals, etc. All and more are common to the culture in the letters are written to.
Unrepentance was grounds for removal from the body and to be
treated as an unbeliever (evangelized). A sexual immoral lifestyle is the most
prominent example given in the epistles, but there are others as well.
Simply put, there is no form of sexual immorality that can
be knowingly enabled among the body of Christ. Those who choose to not repent
and follow the Lord are not believers, and the organizations that enable such
behavior are leading people astray. I believe the best fight against this is to
start discussing sex from a biblical perspective in Church.
Comments
Post a Comment