Helping V.S. Enablement
Hi Everyone!
I hope you are well today. Have you ever seen the signs that read "don't feed the wildlife?" My favorite was in Florida, which said, "don't feed or molest the alligators." My first thought was, what kind of sicko molests an alligator? Then I realized I misunderstood the point. The fact is society has blurred the line of helping. The line of empowerment has been crossed, and we consistently enable. This has given way to needs for resources like books When Helping Hurts, African Friends and Money Matters, and Toxic Charity. Some Non-Profits have even become For-Profits or turned to community development instead of the traditional handouts that the western world is known for because it cripples second and third-world economies. Orphanages have either closed or turned to holistic family development as an attempt to fix the toxic culture that often develops around orphanages.
Some years ago, I think the late '90s, if I remember correctly, this change started. The realization that there is an innate need for people to be productive and take care of themself is a real need. This need doesn't get met by just handing people something for simply existing. Parents don't learn to provide by removing their children. Economies don't grow if people don't create new markets and businesses. Which impoverished people can't do if their society is flooded with free money, free goods, and no education.
I believe this is why scripture balances the concept of giving and generosity with the idea of hard work. In the Old Testament, generosity was part of the Law. You left the edges of your fields and a few other random pieces for the needy to come pick. Notice the wisdom in this; it wasn't just carried to them. In fact, they still did some work. In the New Testament, the body of Christ made sure they all had needs met. Still, everyone worked to supply themself unless they had a specific ministry office. Even then, as we see in Paul's 4.5 years of tent-making, they sometimes had to do regular work even though the body was obligated to provide everything for them.
From a Biblical perspective, we should be looking at how we are giving. Is it helping or hurting? Is it helping reveal God's love by building society, empowering the people, educating them, and truly meeting their needs? Or are we enabling them to do nothing? Could we be defiling God's Character, compromising His love through corrupting fragile economies? Encouraging families to abandon their children rather than learn to provide for their children,? Teaching no responsibility, compromising integrity, and preparing society for mass sin and corruption?
What scares me is that families often make these same choices because doing the God-honoring thing is often heartbreaking, but compromise feels good.
I, for one, have experienced many sides of this reality at one time or another. While I write this, I struggle with some of these lines, which are too far and not enough. The effects of the choices are apparent but how to walk it out well is still a discovery being made by most.
I encourage you to consider these things. Here's how I evaluate: Does the request help spread the gospel, especially to those who don't have access to it (tribal peoples with less than 5% following Christ)? To this, I give extra weight. Or does it risk hurting a society or people in the long run?
I hope this made you think a little broader, just like it does me as I write it.
May the Lord reveal His Love and Glory!
Comments
Post a Comment